Gamay Noir

Moulin-à-Vent 2019

Region:
Beaujolais, Burgundy
Varietals:
Gamay Noir
Maturation:
11 months in 3rd use French oak barriques
Analysis:
13.0% alc/vol | TA: 6.46 g/L | pH: 3.56
Terre de Thé
Moulin-à-Vent, Beaujolais
Known as the King of Beaujolais, the highly acclaimed Moulin-à-Vent Cru boasts the most full-bodied and structured wines found in the region. Grapes for the Maison L’Envoyé Moulin-à-Vent come from south facing, 60-year-old, Gobelet pruned vines in the Terre de Thé vineyard. The distinctive pink granite soil produces wine with red and black fruit characters and a lengthy, complex finish.
Winemaking
30% of the fruit was de-stemmed and the whole berries underwent a long, natural ferment utilizing wild yeasts in open-top vessels. The remaining 70% were fermented as whole clusters, contributing a spicy fragrant lift to the deep, muscular fruit. The wine matured over the following 11 months in 25% new French oak, achieving a subtle integration of oak spice characters.
Tasting Notes
A showy entrance of floral potpourri, maraschino cherry and wild blackberry. Shows off the typical muscularity of Moulin-a-Vent with grippy tannins, and a fuller body. The palate is harmonious with concentration and energy. Finishes long with touches of spicecake and touches of earth.
90 pts

“This polished, herb-laced red shows fruit flavors of wild raspberry and currant mixed with white pepper, graphite and tea. Charming, with balance and freshness.”

Gillian Sciaretta, Wine Spectator (October 2021)
91 points

"Bright violet. Ripe, spice-accented cherry, cassis, pungent flowers and a hint of licorice on the perfumed nose. Juicy and lively on the palate, where bitter cherry and black currant flavors deepen and spread out slowly with air. Dusty tannins contribute shape and grip to a long, sappy finish that echoes the cherry and licorice notes."

Josh Raynolds, Vinous (August 2021)